Wednesday, March 12, 2014

The Coffee Cup: A Window on Watercolors



The Coffee Cup: 



A Window on Watercolors

This is a social column. Last week I talked to Pam Priddy about the Winter Olympics. Since she teaches world geography and history in Terlingua School, I expect to sit down with her often to define our place in the world.
I didn't get to the reception for the exhibit Mary Paloma Diesel has at Gallery on the Square in Alpine, but she agreed to join me for coffee at Espresso y Poco Mas in Terlingua. It was a busy place about 10 that morning. Old friends engaged in joyful conversation, moving from table to table.
Mary's display at the gallery as this month's featured artist is watercolors.
"I didn't want to display my watercolors in the window because they are very susceptible to sunlight," she said. "I have one in the window, back on the wall kind of away from the window. When you put a watercolor in your house, you need to put it away from sunlight, or it will fade, even though it is good archival paint."
The exhibit includes her breastplates, relief wall hangings made with handmade paper and mixed media, and will run to the end of February.
Do you have a show coming up? I asked.
"No, I don't." she said. "Actually, kind of. Let me back that up a minute. I've gotten two calls in the last week. And one of them was from Rosemary Fritz, who is coordinator for something that happens in Alpine as well.
"Every month they have a featured artist at the bank, at West Texas National Bank, and at the hospital. So she called and asked if I could display my work there, have a show at the bank for a month, and then it moves to the hospital for a month. So that's going to happen in August and September.
"She wanted breastplates, so I can have up to 12 pieces. That means work this summer for me."
Mary was beginning to tell about one of her former students sending her a Facebook message--he's still in high school--and that he said his mother, who works for Chisos Mountains Lodge . . . , but an old friend named Chuck showed up at the table.  


No comments:

Post a Comment